Wednesday, August 13, 2008

Writer's Notebook...

I went to a "writing institute" this summer that focused on using writer's notebooks to teach writing. I was very inspired and have asked all of my students to bring a composition notebook to keep in class as their writer's notebooks this year. I'm really excited about the potential it has to improve writing fluency and hopefully help my students learn to like writing (or at least not hate/dread it so much). I have a few concerns though... how the heck will I keep up with the grading? I've already told the kids that this is not the place where I will critique their thoughts and opinions and mark all the grammar errors... but I've got to find a system that allows me to make sure they are writing and taking it seriously, find out if they are improving, use it as a teaching tool, and give them appropriate and fair grades... all without taking a year to read through all the entries and make comments, etc. So-- all three of you that read this dang blog... have you used writer's notebooks in the past? How did you grade them? Was it successful for you?

3 comments:

Ms. Greene said...

Yup! I've used writer's notebooks in the past. Many of us have done it and even more have jumped on board since seeing "Freedom Writers." All books, workshops, and professional development courses that focus on nurturing writers in a non-threatening way suggest implementing the writer's notebook to your students. Don't feel overwhelmed with the grading/reading. Don't tell them when you are going to do either. Read one entry per student in one class on Monday, give a check mark and short, but thoughtful comment. (It's always extremely meaningful for the students that you take the time to empathize with them). Then, on Tuesday or Wednesday, read another entry per student in another class. Stagger it and don't feel like you need to read and grade everything ALL THE TIME. Someone told me once: "They need practice writing. You don't need practice grading. The notebook is about giving them the opportunity to become comfortable with writing their own words."
Good luck, Kelly! Let us know how it works out! :)

Ms. Um... said...

Thanks Bobbie!! That's great advice and I'll put it to good use :)

Miss K said...

I have not used a dedicated writer's notebook and am not familiar with what was said in the workshop, but first, I agree with Bobbie. One thought though, is to allow them periodically self assess. Give them a rubric and time for reflection of what they've written. I've done this before (by surprise) with timed writing practice. Again, don't know if that would work for this, but just another suggestion.