Monday, November 26, 2007

3 more weeks....

Monday morning came early this week... When I was a student I had no idea that my teachers were probably dreading going back to school after a holiday break even more than the students were. There is just over 3 weeks until Christmas break (not including 3 days of final exams... aka absolute mayhem)... and it's unbelievable how much I'm counting down the seconds until then. Even after 5 days off for Thanksgiving!! I was venting with my teacher next door (good friend from grad school) this morning and we both commented that we feel like we put so much work into this job, try so hard to be enthusiastic, come up with engaging lessons, etc. etc. and most days it's like teaching to a brick wall (one that's facing backwards talking to it's neighbor or asleep!). The lack of motivation and complete disregard for the importance of working hard and earning good grades is baffling to me. I guess because I was a very self-motivated kid/student I just don't understand how so many of my students could care less about even turning work in, let alone doing their best on it. I have yet to figure out how to motivate my students... I'd consider it a win just to get them to walk in class without complaining and whining about something. For once please just come in the room, sit down calmly, and pretend like you want to learn something today. They don't pay me to babysit and I refuse to resort to that. But if Christmas break doesn't get here quickly I'm gonna be the richest babysitter around... ;)

No comments: