Wednesday, November 7, 2007

My first hate mail... I'm officially a teacher.

As I'm beginning to count down the days until Thanksgiving and Christmas break (gosh I need a day off!) I began my morning like I do every morning... I turn on my computer, check my email and make sure everything is ready to go for the day. This morning I had an email from a parent asking for a progress report so he could make sure his son had caught up on all his missed work (b/c of ISS, OSS, and surgery back in early October). I, like any sympathetic and hard-working teacher would do, responded that I really enjoyed having his son in my class and that his son is very bright. I also shared that while the student is very smart, he is not performing at the level I know he's capable of and that I can't seem to find the magic way of motivating him to get his work done and do good work. The email I sent was very polite, positive, and simply seeking the Dad's help for any ideas he had for motivating the kid. So, I sent it and went on with my day. A few hours later I got the meanest, rudest, most absurd email in response from the same father. Now that the red haze has cleared from my vision and I'm getting over my anger, I thought I'd share a few of the ridiculous accusations b/c in reality they are rather funny... we do not get paid enough to be blamed for the laziness of our students. To all my new teacher friends out there... there are crazy people in this world, check this out: (**names were changed, spelling/grammar mistakes were not eidted, and keep in mind I've only included the highlights...)

"I also don't understand is why you would
not give full credit for his missing assignments, and why you wouldn't
be giving him all the opportunity you could to help him do his best in
your HONORS class...especially under his medical circumstances. What
really upsets me is how you could honestly write me, "I just can't
seem to get him motivated to perform at the level I KNOW he's capable
of. "
"Especially, if you are not helping him pass. How is giving very little credit for
missing work and not allowing retests when Tom was stoned out of his
mind in October. Why would he be motivated? Would you?"

"I can't help you guys(he's referring to another teacher for some reason here...) You both baffle me. I find your situation laughable! Rediclous! ABsurd and some how you are just as responsible
as Tom for the problem with motivation. It's your class. It's your
reputation. You have the power to fail Tom. I am tired of dealing
with it. Tom LOVES LA (he says he likes you) and he LOVES music. So
whatever is happening in the 40 minutes a day you two (again, me and orchestra teacher...)have him is a mystery to me."
"You need to get him out of Honors LA - if you can't pass an HONOR student."
"It's like complaining about Hemmingway not wanting to
pass LA or the Beattles just don't like Orchstra. I see genuis in
Tom whenit coems to these subjects."
"You two guys are in the twilight zone with Tom. I find talking
to him very easy. Try talking to whom. He is passing al the other
subjects he's not passionate about. Only you can resolve this. (this is a lie, the only classes he's passing are mine and orchestra....)
If you want ot help Tom help him. If you want to fail him - that is
your choice. He will pass sumer school and he will contiue to enjoy
music. There is nothing that you, Me or Dr. orchestra teacher can do to stop
Tom from making a living using music or LA skills. I don't know
about Mr. Counselor but I am sick of hearing about it from two teachers
that should be enjoying Tom."

When I went back to school to become a teacher, I never dreamed that there would be parents that could rationalize in their minds that it's MY fault their kid is lazy and unmotivated and not doing well in class. And all this about a student I enjoy in class and have a great teacher-student relationship with...
I'm not really sure why I just posted this, but I guess I just want someone else to get as good of a laugh as I'm getting at this parents' lunacy.
And if you are wondering if I'll respond to his email, the answer is N-O.

3 comments:

Bridget said...

I am a "blog stalker", linked to you from Amber....and I am also a teacher (this is my 13th year). I have had a few of those...the worst was a dad too....and I also enjoyed his kid, funny how they rationalize. Hang in there...like you said, you have brush it off and let them live in a dreamworld. It will catch up to them eventually....

Amber said...

that is unreal.. i think its pretty clear where Tom got all his smarts!

Unknown said...

okay- why is tonight the first time that I have heard that you are a blogger????? So much for Sissy-love! Just kidding-
Regarding Tom: it is a wise teacher who doesn't shoot back an ugly email to a parent who is an idiot. Hang in there- the worst part of teaching is usually the parents.