Sunday, October 14, 2007

"Mees," "Miss Um," "Ms Uh....Mayfield"

So... the first 9 weeks of my first year of teaching have brought with them a number of surprises. Let me first explain the title of this blog and the post: I see 140 something students everyday, 5 periods in a row, and I know EVERY single one of their names (first AND last!). Yet still, the majority of my students can't seem to remember my name as anything other than "Mees" or "Miss," the occasional "Miss Um..." (indicating an attempt at recalling their favorite, and obviously most memorable teacher's name before leaving it at the 'Um' and continuing on with a ridiculous excuse for not having homework or daring to ask when I announced the quiz I'm about to give), and every so often the music to my ears: "Miss Uh... Mayfield?"... ding ding ding! You are the first one today to recognize the fact that, yes, I DO have a name. Next time lose the "uh" and the obvious question mark in your tone and I might shed a tear. I guess expecting my students to learn my name (only one out of 7 they have to learn each year) was a far too lofty goal. Thus, next year I will be Ms. Um Mayfield officially (a minor attempt to make myself feel more important).
The beginning of my first year of teaching has been as emotional, tiring, stressful, overwhelming, frustrating, and rewarding/wonderful as anyone ever warned me it would be. I've cried for my students, because of my students, and in spite of my students. But I've also laughed, a lot. And learned even more. Most notably, I am not nearly as cool as I thought I was in the eyes of 15 year olds. But, the Lord continues to give me patience, energy, and a growing ability to love the oftentimes unlovable. For now... Ms. Um :)



3 comments:

Dana said...

this is cool kel! you are such a good writer, good thing you are an english teacher. love you and stay strong!!
p.s. i still have trouble calling you mrs. mayfield, good thing i am your sister and have the privilege of using your first name

Ms. Um... said...

thanks danes :) love you

Miss K said...

To that end--I constantly get the "Can you tell me what I'm missing?" or "I didn't do that because YOU didn't give me that assignment when I was absent." Yeah, why don't I just drop those items by your house after school--oh, that's right, you must have been skipping class--your bad.
Hmmm...you have 4 teachers, I have eighty students--why don't you go ahead and take it upon yourself to ask your teachers what you missed--wouldn't that be a responsible thing to do!

I feel you, Miss Um...(smile).